The Library of Things is a special collection of unconventional items. This collection goes far beyond the books and media that has been the primary focus of our Library system; we intend for these items to provide a new, exciting experience to patrons unlike any they have had in a traditional library.
Upon agreeing to the procedure and clicking the check mark, you will be directed to the list of items available to borrow.
Library of Things Procedure
1. Based on item availability, holds may be made online through the Library's catalog, by calling (631) 360-2480 or in-person at the Reference Desk of one of the four Smithtown Library buildings. The patron placing the reservation must check out the item or device using their own card in person at the Reference Desk.
2. Items and devices are available for checkout to Smithtown Library adult cardholders aged 18 and older with a library account in good standing.
3. Items and devices have a 7 day loan period. You must return the item by the return date specified. Items are unable to be renewed.
4. Fines are $10.00 a day and replacement charges vary for each item. You are responsible for lost or damaged items and devices that you borrow.
5. You will be notified when your item is ready to be picked up.
6. You may only have 2 Library of Things items out at a time.
7. Items and devices must be returned to the Reference Desk and may not be returned in the outside book drop nor to any facility other than one of the four Smithtown Library Buildings (Commack, Kings Park, Nesconset, Smithtown).
8. You may view your holds and make changes online. As a courtesy to others, please cancel any reservation you will not be using as soon as possible.
9. The Library reserves the right to review and amend these guidelines as it becomes necessary.
By clicking the check mark below, I attest that I am 18 years of age and I agree to the following statement:
I have read the rules for borrowing from The Smithtown Library - Library of Things and understand the rules stated above.
For more information call the Reference Department at any building at (631) 360-2480.