|Passport Acceptance Facility Hours:
Fridays - Temporarily Unavailable
By appointment only. No walk-ins will be accepted.
This service is only available at our Smithtown Building.
How do I contact the Department of State?
How do I apply for a passport at The Smithtown Library?
- Bring a completed unsigned DS-11 passport application form. Forms may be completed online or printed from travel.state.gov. Copies are also available at the Library. If handwriting the form, use black ink. Do not sign the form until instructed by a passport acceptance agent.
- Bring original proof of U.S. Citizenship and a photocopy (certified U.S. birth certificate, certificate of naturalization, certificate of citizenship or fully valid, undamaged prevous U.S. passport). Original proof of U.S. Citizenship must be mailed along with application and will be mailed back to applicant separately from passport.
- Bring proof of identity along with a photocopy of both the front and back (drivers license).
- Photocopiers are available at the Library for 10¢/page.
- Bring one recent color photo. The Library can provide photo services for an additional fee (see below for more information or click here).
- Bring two checks or money orders for payment to the “U.S. Department of State” and “The Smithtown Library”.
You must apply in person for a passport if ANY of the following are true:
- You are applying for your first passport.
- You are under age 16.
- Your previous U.S. passport was issued when you were under age 16.
- Your previous U.S. passport was lost, stolen or damaged.
- Your previous U.S. passport was issued more than 15 years ago.
- Your name has changed since your U.S. passport was issued and you are unable to legally document your name change.
|What are you paying for?||Form||Application fee paid to "U.S. Department of State"||Execution fee paid to "The Smithtown Library"|
|Passport Book and Card||DS-11||$140||$35|
|What are you paying for?||Form||Application fee paid to "U.S Department of State"||Execution fee paid to "The Smithtown Library"|
|Passport Book and Card||DS-11||$95||$35|
|Expedited Fee||Paid per application. Please refer to "Processing Time" chart below.||$60*|
|1-2 Day Delivery||Paid per application for 1-2 day delivery of an isued passport book from the Department of State.||$17.56*|
|Passport Photo||2x2 color passport photo is required for new applicants.||$10**|
|*Fee paid to the "U.S Department of State" **Fee paid to "The Smithtown Library"|
Passport Photo Requirements: (The Library can provide this service for an additional fee)
- No glasses.
- No hats.
- Neutral facial expression.
- Eyes open.
- Full face against a white or off white background.
- 1" to 1 3/8" from bottom of chin to top of the head.
- Taken within last 6 months.
The Library CANNOT process renewals. Please click here for step by step guidance on renewing your passport.
You may renew by mail using Form DS-82 if your most recent passport meets all five of these requirements:
- Is submitted with your application.
- Is undamaged (other than normal "wear and tear").
- Was issued when you were age 16 or older.
- Was issued within the last 15 years.
Was issued in your current name (or you can document your name change with an original or certified copy of your marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court order).