A valid library card is needed to borrow library materials. A Juvenile Card is issued through the fifth grade. An Adult Card is issued starting in the sixth grade. Proper identification is required. All cards must be renewed every three (3) years. Adult applicants must show proof of residence within the Smithtown Special Library District in order to qualify for a Smithtown Library card. Initial application and subsequent renewal must be done in person. The burden of proof lies with the applicant.
Proof of Residence
Adult applicants must show one (1) of the following which MUST include your name and current street address (a post office box is not sufficient proof of residency):
- Current driver's license
- Non-driver photo identification
- Photo identification with name and address
- Current automobile registration or car insurance card
- Current voter registration postcard
- Utility bill (dated within 60 days)
- Major credit card bill, e.g., department store, bank card
- Current bank statement
- Current deed or tax bill
If you do not have any of these with street address (e.g., if one rents and does not receive bills), the adult applicant must submit BOTH of the following :
- A notarized statement from the homeowner stating that you are residing at their residence.
- Identification with your name, e.g., school ID, credit card.
- Lease for property
- Business license
- Utility bill (electric, water, etc.)
- Property tax bill
- Business check that includes the person's name and Smithtown Special Library District address
Always bring your library card with you when you come to the library. Your library card is like a credit card -- if it is lost or stolen, please notify the library at once. There is a $1.00 fee for replacement library cards. You are responsible for all materials checked out on your card.