GUIDELINES FOR USE
We request your cooperation in observing the following conditions concerning your use of the Long Island Room collection materials. Your compliance is appreciated and will assist in preserving the Long Island Room collection for future use.
- Please refrain from eating and/ or drinking during your visit.
- Please take notes with pencil only. The use of pens is prohibited.
- A staff member will assist you in locating the materials that you require. Long Island Room materials do not circulate and should only be utilized within the Reading Room or its immediate vicinity.
- Many collection items are rare and/ or fragile. Please handle them with care. If you are unsure of how to properly handle an item, please ask a staff member for assistance.
- Reproduction (i.e. photocopying, digital photography, etc.) of Long Island Room materials for private study, scholarship, or research purposes is permitted provided that the means of reproduction does not pose a threat to the preservation of the materials. Please be advised that the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) governs the making of photocopies and other reproductions of copyrighted materials. It is the responsibility of the researcher to comply with this law. The Long Island Room, The Smithtown Library, as well as its trustees, staff, and other agents assume no liability for any possible copyright infringement or other violation of state or federal law by the researcher. For more information, please see the posted "Notice Warning Conerning Copyright Restrictions."