The Long Island Room's staff is eager to help you with your research, however due to the rare and fragile nature of the materials it is imperative that the following guidelines be adhered to when using the collection.
- You are required to fill out either a Research Registration Form or Reading Room Usage Registration Form. Children under the age of 12 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian in order to use collection materials.
- Eating and drinking are prohibited.
- Cell phones and all other mobile devices must be silenced and remain that way for the duration of your visit.
- The use of pens is prohibited. Only pencils, paper and/ or laptops are permitted in the Reading Room for note taking. When taking notes, do not lean on or mark material.
- Only use the paper slips provided to mark your place in a book and be sure to remove all slips when you are finished using the materials. Do not lay books open face down or employ harmful bookmarks such as pencils, other books, etc.
- Depending on the format and/ or condition of the materials being used, you may be required to wear cotton gloves when handling them.
- With the exception of materials in the Reading Room, the Long Island Room's dedicated staff will retrieve materials and supervise their use. Depending upon the condition and rarity of the item requested a surrogate copy may be used instead of the original.
- Photocopying is permitted at the discretion of the Long Island Room's dedicated staff at a rate of 10 cents per page. While some materials can be photocopied independently at the copy machine located just outside the Reading Room, other materials may require special handling and the assistance of a dedicated staff member. Be sure to check with staff before you start photocopying any materials. If materials are deemed too rare or fragile they will not be copied or reproduced in any way. PLEASE BE ADVISED: Photocopying is governed by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code). For more information about this law please see the posted NOTICE WARNING CONCERNING COPYRIGHT RESTRICTIONS. It is the responsibility of the researcher to comply with this law.
- Photography of the Long Island Room and its collection is strictly prohibited, unless prior permisson is granted.
- Primary documents and other original archival materials found in the Long Island Room's collection should be cited in the following way, [Title or Description of the Item], [Date], [Collection Name], Richard H. Handley Collection of Long Island Americana, Smithtown Special Library District.
- Personal articles and research materials are subject to inspection before a researcher leaves the Long Island Room.
- While materials from this collection are in a your hands, they are your responsibility. Please respect them and handle them with care.
Thank you for your cooperation. Following these guidelines will help us preserve the Long Island Room's collection so that researchers can continue to benefit from the information it contains.